The COVID-19 pandemic is a scary and confusing time for all but you and your loved ones
still need to eat. It’s important that we continue to nourish our stomachs, minds and hearts
by creating pleasurable food that the whole family can enjoy.
As a vegetarian, falafels make up a huge part of my diet so I decided to experiment making a
tart using a falafel crust. The pink beetroot filling is perfect to brighten up these days filled
with stress and uncertainty, and it can be topped with any vegetables that you have on hand. A tart
is also the perfect recipe for sharing with your family. I encourage you to sit down for a
family meal, start a conversation and indulge others by presenting this gesture of love and
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup parsley + a handful
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 beetroot, boiled
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
1. Blend lentils, wholemeal flour, onion, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp tahini, chia seeds, parsley, cumin and ground coriander.
2. Spread into a tin to form a pie crust and bake for 10 minutes until dry when touched.
3. Process chickpeas, beetroot, 2 tbsp tahini, 1 garlic and a handful of parsley.
4. Layer beetroot hummus into the falafel crust and top with asparagus and mushrooms (Note: You can cook these ahead of time if you would like – grilled or in a pan is perfect).
5. Bake at 180°C until the vegetables have cooked, approx. 30 mins.
6. Slice into portions and enjoy.