In the mayhem of COVID-19, you may have cupboards that are now piled with shelf-stable goods to last weeks. However, the last thing you want is to feel bored by the same tinned foods and pantry meals. Take these moments of self-isolation to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with new ingredients and recipes. This creamy walnut and miso sauce is a fusion between Italian and Japanese cuisines, and will definitely make your tastebuds smile. Plus, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan so it can be shared with anyone and everyone (care packages – tick!).
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 packet black bean fettuccine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup roast pumpkin
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 250g spinach
1. Add walnuts to a bowl and soak in boiling water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Blend walnuts, nutritional yeast, miso paste, garlic, onion, water and pepper.
3. Cook fettuccine and add spinach in the last 30 seconds of cooking the pasta.
4. Drain the pasta and spinach, add to the sauce and stir in 2 tbsp pasta water and the lemon juice.
5. Add in roast pumpkin and mushrooms.
6. Serve warm and enjoy.